Your Stimulus Check: Answers About Kids & Child Support

Your Stimulus Check: Answers About Kids & Child Support

As economic stimulus checks are being distributed, here are what parents have been asking about their stimulus checks.

How big are the checks for parents? The economic stimulus checks are $1,200 per an adult or for married couples who are filing jointly, they are $2,400. It’s an additional $500 per child, per household.

Are there income thresholds for the checks? The checks start to get smaller for individuals whose earnings exceed $75,000 per year, for joint returns, $150,000 annually, and $112,500 for those who file head of household. These figures are for adjusted gross income (AGI), before the taxpayer’s standard or itemized deductions.

Will I receive a check for my children if my income is over the limits? Yes, however, for every $100 of income above the threshold, your check will be reduced by $5.

Is there a limit on the number of children? No, there aren’t any limits on number of children, but for a child to “qualify,” he or she must be age 16 or younger.

What about foster and adopted children? They qualify too. If you recently adopted a child and he or she does not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you’ll have to use an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN).

My child was born in 2020. Will I receive a check for my child? Since the IRS does not know about your new child, you will not receive a check for him or her in 2020. But when you file your 2020 return in 2021, you can adjust to account for your new baby.

Can my college student get their own check? Not if you claimed your college student as a dependent on your taxes.

I owe child support. Will I still receive my check? It depends. If you owe back child support, you may receive a reduced check or no check at all. If you don’t owe child support, but your spouse does and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2018 and 2019 tax return, you should receive your share of the stimulus check (your spouse’s share should go to child support arrears).