Child Custody Lawyers in Long Island
Fight for Your Child's Best Interest
During a divorce, one of the most difficult issues to resolve is child custody. This holds true even when the parents of a child are not married, but are breaking up nonetheless and need to reach a custody arrangement. Parents have strong opinions over how the custody of their children should be divided — or not divided in some cases — and often will not back down until they get what they want. If you are seeking child custody, you need to retain the services of an experienced Long Island divorce attorney who can assert your rights and make sure that your needs and concerns are not overlooked or ignored. A skilled and well-practiced child custody attorney at Samuelson Hause & Samuelson, LLP can represent you throughout the
New York divorce process to make sure that your wishes are made known to the judge and that your parental rights are reinforced.
How is child custody determined?
When parents can agree on a child custody arrangement, the courts will typically uphold their decision as long as it is in the best interest of the child. When parents cannot mutually agree on an arrangement, the courts will intervene and come up with an arrangement based on the child's best interest. There are certain factors judges take into consideration when determining child custody. Some of these factors include:
- Each parent's physical and mental health
- Each parent's ability to provide for the child, i.e. food, shelter, clothing, medical care
- Each parent's ability to provide a stable environment
- Each parent's lifestyle
- Each parent's income and financial stability
- If the parents encourage the child to have a relationship with the other parent
- If either parent has a history of alcoholism, drug abuse, or domestic violence
- The child's lifestyle and routine
- The child's bond and / or relationship with each parent
- If siblings would be separated
- The child's preference (if above a certain age, usually 12 years)
Hire a Child Custody Attorney Today
Whether your objective is to obtain sole or joint physical custody or legal custody, or simply visitation rights, an experienced Long Island child custody attorney at Samuelson Hause & Samuelson, LLP can provide you with the resources, attention, and dedicated representation needed to help you achieve your goals. Contact our firm to speak with a dedicated lawyer who can help you reach an arrangement that serves the best interest of your family and preserves the relationships you have with your children.