Child Custody Lawyers in Long Island
What Does Child Custody Mean in New York?
divorce, one of the most difficult issues to resolve is child custody. This holds
true even when the parents of a child are not married, but are breaking
up nonetheless and need to reach a custody arrangement. Parents have strong
opinions over how the custody of their children should be divided —
or not divided in some cases — and often will not back down until
they get what they want. If you are seeking child custody, you need to
retain the services of an experienced Long Island child custody attorney
who can assert your rights and make sure that your needs and concerns
are not overlooked or ignored.
A well-practiced child custody attorney at
Samuelson Hause & Samuelson, LLP can represent you throughout the
New York divorce process to make sure that your wishes are made known to the judge and that your
parental rights are reinforced.
How Is Child Custody Determined?
When parents can agree on a child custody arrangement, the courts will
typically uphold their decision as long as it is in the best interest
of the child. When parents cannot mutually agree on an arrangement, the
courts will intervene and come up with an arrangement based on the child's
best interest. There are certain factors judges take into consideration
when determining child custody. Some of these factors include:
- Each parent's lifestyle
- If siblings would be separated
- The child's lifestyle and routine
- Each parent's physical and mental health
- Each parent's income and financial stability
- Each parent's ability to provide a stable environment
- The child's bond and / or relationship with each parent
- The child's preference (if above a certain age, usually 12 years)
- If the parents encourage the child to have a relationship with the other parent
- If either parent has a history of alcoholism, drug abuse, or domestic violence
- Each parent's ability to provide for the child, i.e. food, shelter,
clothing, medical care
Hire a Child Custody Attorney Today
Whether your objective is to obtain sole or joint physical custody or legal
custody, or simply visitation rights, an experienced Long Island child
custody attorney at
Samuelson Hause & Samuelson, LLP can provide you with the resources, attention, and dedicated representation
needed to help you achieve your goals.
Contact our firm to speak with a dedicated lawyer who handles child custody in New York
and can help you reach an arrangement that serves the best interest of
your family and preserves the relationships you have with your children.